Monday, November 22, 2010

Cooper's Hawk - 11-22-10

First close call with a Cooper's Hawk today.

The birds were let out as usual. When I was cleaning the flight loft, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a dark bird fly overhead. Normal - sometimes crows will fly around the birds.


I went inside and returned a few minutes later with food just in time to see a Cooper's Hawk fly down into the yard, along the wall and take a shot at the birds flying from the roof of the house to the loft. Luckily, he missed. One bird hung from the bathroom window, another on the back wall (in cat territory) and another by the trashcans. I spooked them into the air and they all trapped immediately.

I'm trying to decide if the birds should be grounded for a few days.

On another note: I was starting to trap train Sydney and Fairbanks (40+ days old) when the hawk hit. They dashed from the breeding aviary into the loft very fast. Not the best way to learn how to trap.

No comments:

Post a Comment