Wednesday, June 29, 2011

First Youngster Disaster/Fallout


For the first few days following the "first flight disaster" I could see at least one Delbar in the vicinity. I hoped it would make it back to the loft.

Unfortunately, last night I came home to find one of the feral cats had found, attacked and killed 703, Cairo. It was a special bird to me. It had been severely scalped by an older bird as a juvie and spent some time in the house while I tended to the head wounds. The cat removed its head and was in the process of removing the wing when I showed up.

The feral cats in my neighborhood are particularly aggressive. One came into my house through a doggie door, snatched my male toucan off his perch and tried to escape through the door. Luckily, I was home and caught the cat. They often kill and dismember mourning doves in my backyard, but don't eat them - they appear to kill for sport.

A disappointing first flight is turning out to have a very sad outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment